Monday, June 4, 2007

The Ruse of Equality





A friend once referred to me as somewhat of a "feminist." My personal opinion on this matter is quite different. Yes, I believe in the strengths of woman, but I also believe in the strengths of man. However,we are not equals, for despite the fact that many of our individual abilities can be carefully taught, we are born with genetic predispositions and qualities.


For instance: Sure, with a little strength training, I might finally be able to open that spaghetti jar on my own, or if I were to pursue a higher education and experience, I might land a lead corporate job.. but I will never grow a penis and pee while upright (physically impossible) or even begin to understand the inner workings of the male mind (I may graze the surface, or even comprehend the general "gist" of it, but never, ever will my brain function in the same way as the opposite sex).


..And sure, the occasional man may choose to stay at home with the kiddies and even conquer the arts of one-handed diaper changing, cooking from scratch, and delicately removing mystery stains from white pieces of clothing.. but he will never experience the miraculous growth of a child in his belly or the utter terror of its exit thereof.. nor will he ever manage to maneuver through the complexities of the female thought process (much less come out alive).


It is in our DNA for our natural differences to compliment one another. No, I would not say that one sex is better or more accomplished or even has greater potential than the other. Nor am I proposing that predisposition should constitute following. However, we cannot claim equality or sameness. We possess individual strengths and weaknesses by nature. This does not mean that we cannot grow. One common trait among us all, is an aptitude for change and evolution. We thrive on progression. We must move forward to survive, but in order to do this, we must first embrace our own uniqueness and submit our own pieces to the completion of the puzzle.


Our society has been broken by segregation under the ruse of unity. What irony. How can we accept the cultures, religions, and ethnicity of others if we cannot even accept our own? We allude to understanding, yet "understanding" implies experience. Once we acknowledge the fact that we cannot possibly understand, and take that step towards true comprehension of such diffidence, only then can we learn to value the beauty of individuality.

"The barrier to success is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."-unknown


No comments: